Carolyn Pajama Shorts: Done!
My first garment of the year! As I shared in my 2021 goals, these pajama shorts were first up and I am so glad. They have already moved up through the ranks of my favorite sleepwear. They are the only flannel bottoms that I own and they have taught me that I need more. Talk about co-zy.
The cotton flannel is from Joann. I found it in the remnant bin for $1.50. I had under one yard of fabric and BARELY was able to cut out these shorts. I had to skip the pockets entirely and make the cuffs slightly narrower. Even with those small sacrifices, I did hold on to plaid matching on the main pieces.
The pattern is Carolyn Pajamas by Closet Core Patterns. This pattern is great. I’ve made these shorts and the pajama top before in a cotton lawn. The fit is close and comfortable. For these plaid shorts I lengthened the rise and leg, as well as cut out one size bigger. I wanted them to be very loose. For future pajamas I will probably find the middle ground between the original and my loose fit adjustments.
A few details:
Here you can see that I added 1 inch to the rise and one inch in the inseam length. I also added the corner back where the pocket cutout is because I skipped making the pockets.
I nested the seams at the crotch to reduce bulkiness.
All the seams were top stitched for extra strength.
I added buttonholes to the waistband for a ribbon tie. This was purely for the decorative feature and I love it.
It is obvious which side is the front and back, but I still think a little ribbon tag at the back is cute. I am looking forward to getting custom tags that say: Paige Handmade. Someday soon!
There is something so pretty about piping. It feels so elegant. I had a small piece of this coral-colored quilting cotton that matched well and I, once again, barely had enough to make the piping. There are so many seams, but I took care to iron everything very smooth and I don’t notice unless I look for the seams. Note: I join the piping on the outer leg seam to avoid any unnecessary bulk on the inner seams.
I “stitched in the ditch” between the piping and the cuff. The end result is so satisfying to me. The colors are pretty and bring me a lot of joy.
One point in the sewing success column and I am on to the next project. Happy sewing, friends!